At first I was as cool as James Dean, but once I was inside the glass cabin (which made everything larger than life and thus, scarier), I was melting faster than you can say "James who?" I sat rooted on the bench for the first quarter of the journey as my legs were like jelly. Even though the ascend was as smooth as a baby's bottom, I still felt each tremor and jerk of the contraption. (It didn't help that instead of admiring the setting sun and the awesome view, my eyes were glued to the wires and machines).
The only reason I didn't pee in my pants (and believe me, I almost did), was that an 8-year old girl who was with her parents, was braver than I was. She was frolicking around in the cabin and walking around freely, unaware of the fact that we were in a glass thing hovering miles away from the ground.
Thank God Shama forced me off my seat and let me clutch her hand (rather strongly I might add) to guide me to admire the view. Shama, I apologise if I hurt your hand and I thank you for not laughing at how much of a sissy I was.
Once we were almost at the top, some of the fear subsided and I could truly admire the view. Even with constant looks towards the ground, I still felt it was a pretty amazing ride. Once we were at the pinnacle, a disembodied female voice called out, "Ladies & gentlemen, boys & girls, you are now at the top of the world. You are currently 165 metres from the ground (why oh why?!) and will be descending shortly. The ride will end in approximately 10 minutes."
Although my heart and stomach wanted to switch places throughout the ride, it was not as scary as I thought it would be. So for all you people with acrophobia, I strongly recommend you to take this ride. Just remember to bring along a friend who isn't afriad of heights.

No comments:
Post a Comment